In September 2016 I published the book Mennonites and “Homosexuality”: The Struggle to Become a Welcoming Church with Peace Theology Books. This is a collection of numerous essays, lectures, and blog posts, many adapted from the pieces linked to below. Here is the introduction to that book.
I have written a number of reviews on books related to these themes. Here’s a list, with the more recent reviews first:
- David Gushee, Changing Our Mind, 3rd ed. (July 20, 2017)
- James Brownson, Bible, Gender, Sexuality (July 5, 2016)
- Mark Achtemeier, The Bible’s Yes to Same-Sex Marriage (May 24, 2016)
- Preston Sprinkle, People to Be Love: Why Homosexuality is not Just an Issue (March 31, 2016)
- Sean McDowell and John Stonestreet, Same-Sex Marriage: A Thoughtful Approach to God’s Design for Marriage (January 5, 2015)
- David Gushee, Changing Our Mind, 1st ed. (December 19, 2014)
- Wesley Hill, Washed and Waiting: Reflections on Christian Faithfulness and Homosexuality (November 10, 2014)
- Matthew Vine, God and the Gay Christian: The Biblical Case for Same-Sex Relationships (November 2, 2014)
- Jeffrey Chu, Does Jesus Really Love Me? A Gay Christian’s Pilgrimage in Search of God in America (October 6, 2014)
I wrote a multi-part series critiquing Rod Dreher’s book, The Benedict Option. The third post was “Dreher’s Benedict Option: part 3—Same-Sex Marriage as the Paradigmatic Problem.” (May 8, 2017)
Recent ferment in the Mennonite Church USA triggered a number of blog posts (the older ones come first on this list):
- “Will Mennonite Church USA Survive? Reflections on Three Decades of Struggle” (part 1) (February 28, 2014)
- “Will MC USA Survive?” (part 2) (February 28, 2014)
- “‘Othering’ and Mennonite Sexuality Struggles” (March 9, 2014)
- “How Mennonites Church USA Might Survive: A Fantasy” (March 23, 2014).
- “Why Eastern Mennonite University Should Stop Discriminating” (part one) (March 30, 2014)
- “Why Eastern Mennonite University Should Stop Discriminating” (part two) (March 30, 2014)
- “Is the Survival of Mennonite Church USA Now Less Likely?” (July 1, 2014)
- “Is the Mennonite (Church USA) Project Doomed? Some Ruminations” (April 21, 2015)
- “Mennonites and Separation: More Ruminations” (April 29, 2015)
- “The ‘End’ of Mennonite Church USA” (May 12, 2015)
- “Describing the Mennonite Church USA “Conflict” (June 19, 2015)
- “MC USA’s ‘Membership Guidelines’, A History” (July 15, 2015).
- “Mennonite Church USA’s Moral Crisis” (October 27, 2015).
- “What’s Wrong with MC USA’s Membership Guidelines” (December 3, 2015).
- “Moral Discernment and Same-Sex Marriage: Why Welcome is the Best Policy” (January 7, 2016).
In January, 2015, I had the chance to give my basic presentation on the churches and same-sex relationships. This time it was at Oak Grove Mennonite Church near Smithville, Ohio. Here are some reflections on the experience. This is the sermon I gave, “What Matters Most to Jesus.” And this is my lecture, “The Bible and Same-Sex Marriage.”
An earlier post, expanding a presentation given at First Mennonite Church, Canton, Ohio on March 24, 2013. This develops further some of the ideas from my May 2012 blog posts. The overall series is called: “A Biblical Theology of Welcome: Toward an Embrace of Gay Marriage.” Part one: Hospitality. Part two: Marriage. Part three: Biblical teaching.
These are several other blog posts (older ones come first):
- “Jesus and ‘homosexuality’: What did he do?” (April 21, 2012)
- “Jesus and ‘homosexuality,’ part 2” (April 27, 2012)
- “The Mennonite Confession of Faith and ‘homosexuality'” (May 9, 2012).
- “Homosexuality, hiring practices, and the Mennonite confession of faith” (April 30, 2013)
- “Damaging the Christian Faith? Questions About Some Anti-Gay Sentiments” (April 27, 2014)
- “Is There a Third-Way” Regarding Same-Sex Marriage and the Churches” (August 4, 2014)
I am privileged to be able to host an excellent research article by recent Goshen College grad, Kelly Miller. She takes a close look at a recent case of a Mennonite conference disciplining a pastor for supporting welcoming gays.
My essay “The Logic of the Mennonite Church USA ‘Teaching Position’ on Homosexuality” has been published in Brethren Life and Thought (volume 55, numbers 1-2), 10-23. It is a slightly revised version of the article I posted on this website July 2010.
The weekend of February 5-7, 2010, I presented three lectures as part of a conversation on homosexuality at Portland (Oregon) Mennonite Church. Here are the three lectures, plus a fourth article where I sketch several of the issues that came up over the weekend that I would address could I give the lectures over again.
I have co-authored a book with Mark Thiessen Nation, Professor of Theology, Eastern Mennonite Seminary, where we debate the issue of homosexuality. Here is a link to information about the book, called, Reasoning Together: A Conversation on Homosexuality. A fine, online review of the book, by Chris Smith, may be found at the Englewood Review of Books.
Here is a link to my main chapter in this book, “A Theology of Welcome.”
Here is a link to an essay I wrote summarizing the views of both “restrictive” and “inclusive” writers.
Here is the text of my contribution to a “Conversation on Homosexuality” forum at Eastern Mennonite University, February 19, 2009.
This is a quite lengthy and quite critical review of Robert Gagnon’s influential book, The Bible and Homosexual Practice.
Two responses to Willard Swartley’s book, Homosexuality: Biblical Interpretation and Moral Discernment. The first is a fairly lengthy book review; the second includes critical notes made as I was reading and preparing the more formal reveiw.
Here are links to several shorter articles on homosexuality that I published in the Welcome Series of Booklets.
This is the first public version of my basic argument concerning the Bible and welcome of LGBTQ Christians. It was posted on MennoLink in 2003. This file includes a few conversations with respondents to the posts.